Fillet Steak & Creamy Garlic Potato
This delicious meal is very simply to cook and never fails to impress dinner guests. It is a real treat for the palate and served with a fine earthy red wine, this dish offers a plethora of pleasure for the senses.
Recipe and image courtesy of Bord Bia.
Preparation Time 20 minutes
Cooking Time 25 minutes
- Salt and black pepper
- Olive oil
- 125 ml home-made beef stock
- Dash of whiskey
- Knob of butter
Cooking Ingredients for potato cakes
- ½ kg potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 2-3 tablespoons of milk and cream (Mixed together ½ & ½ )
- Knob of butter
- 1 scallion (spring onion), finely chopped
- Salt and black pepper for seasoning
Ingredients for the Herb Sauce(Mix together)
- 50g (2 oz) softened butter
- chopped scallions
- crushed garlic
- lemon juice
- Start with the Potato Cakes: Place the potatoes in a large pot. Cover with water. Season, bring to the boil, and simmer until potatoes are cooked. Drain well, then mash really well with the milk, cream and butter. Whip in the scallions, season well. Divide the mixture into four and shape into four potato cakes. Dust each one with a little flour and fry in hot butter until golden brown on each side – keep warm.
- Season the steaks with salt, black pepper and olive oil. Heat the pan and cook the steaks to your liking (See below for a temperature table). Remove from the pan and keep warm. To the juices in the pan, add some beef stock, dash of whiskey, knob of butter and season to taste.
- Cook fillet steak rare for 2-3 minutes each side at 55 ºC / 130 ºF; Cook fillet steak medium rare for 3-4 minutes on each side at 60 ºC – 70 ºC
- Place the warm potato cake on the plate with the steak on top. Spoon on herby butter and drizzle the sauce around the plate.